Adobe Troubleshooting Guide
I can’t save my application. I can’t see the help text and/or I can’t fill the form in.
When you open a PDF you computer may open the document using the internet; this will stop the form working correctly and most importantly you won’t be able to save changes made to the form and could lose work you have done.
- The first thing to check is that you have Adobe Acrobat reader installed on your machine – see 1 below
- Make sure you download the blank application form from our website and save it on your computer or network drive before you start to fill it in; this ensures that you are working on your own copy of the form rather than just viewing the form as a web page – see 2 below
- Once you have saved the blank version of the form and you have Adobe Acrobat installed, check that the file is opening using Adobe Acrobat and not another programme – see 3 below
- When you finish and print your application, please ensure that all of the text you intend to be on the form has printed out. Due to localised technical issues, occasionally text is not being printed so please do check this before you post your application to us. If your application is not printing as expected, please contact us.
You can either type information directly into each field, or copy and paste text. The font cannot be changed. You can only type regular text (upper and lower cases); the form will not accept underlined text, bold or italics, script or formulas, curved or slanted apostrophes, double quotation marks or long dashes. If you have saved the form onto your computer correctly, you will be able to save your work and re-open the file later to edit or enter additional information.
1. I do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader / .pdf file does not open
To open and complete the application forms, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader (the latest version is recommended). If you do not have it installed on your computer, you may download the latest version free of charge.
Download the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader from Adobe.
2. How can I save the application form which opens using the internet?
Our application forms must be saved on to your computer and then completed using Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Position your cursor on the form link on our website and click with your right mouse button. From the menu that pops up, select the ‘Save target as’… option in Internet Explorer or the ‘Save link as’… or similar option in another browsers. You should then be prompted to choose a location to save the file. Select the location on your own computer or network and click on the Save button. Once saved, open Adobe Acrobat Reader and from within the programme browse to the location where you have saved the file and open it.
3. I have downloaded the form and have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat installed, but I still can’t fill it in and save it.
When you open a PDF you computer may be set to open the document using the internet; this will stop the form working correctly.
Find where you saved the blank copy of the form on your computer, position your cursor on the file and click with your right mouse button. From the menu that pops up, select ‘Open with’ and from the submenu select ‘Chose default programme’ or similar option. You should then be prompted to choose the type of programme you want to use to open PDF files. Select Adobe Acrobat Reader. This should automatically open the file with Adobe Acrobat Reader and you should then be able to work on it and save the changes made.
Once the document opens, we suggest that you enter a small change into the form, save the form, close it and then reopen it just to make sure that your edit was saved.